Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default damage from blown transformer?

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
I have surge protectors on practically everything. I believe they are usually
only good for one shot and if bulb is out, they don't protect. Some
manufacturers will replace the surge protector and some battery backups insure
items plugged into them.

Suppose reimbursement from power company is possible but Delmarva, who's mine,
have refused me numerous times. They do a lousy job of tree trimming and last
time a limb dropped over the high voltage line and sent current to house
blowing out microwave (on protector that was probably burned out) and burned
out all my other surge protectors including a couple of scorches on walls,
they refused to pay. Radio Shack gave replacements as did one other company.

My computer was on at the time with surge protector and battery backup
survived except for the surge protector.

I considered small claims suit but lawyer advised not to as they always get
away with the "act of God" defense.

I've also heard of amature "landscapers" dropping trees across power lines and
being held responsible for hundreds of electronic devices in their neighborhood
damaged by the resulting surge.