Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default damage from blown transformer?

I have surge protectors on practically everything. I believe they are
usually only good for one shot and if bulb is out, they don't protect.
Some manufacturers will replace the surge protector and some battery
backups insure items plugged into them.

Suppose reimbursement from power company is possible but Delmarva, who's
mine, have refused me numerous times. They do a lousy job of tree
trimming and last time a limb dropped over the high voltage line and
sent current to house blowing out microwave (on protector that was
probably burned out) and burned out all my other surge protectors
including a couple of scorches on walls, they refused to pay. Radio
Shack gave replacements as did one other company.

My computer was on at the time with surge protector and battery backup
survived except for the surge protector.

I considered small claims suit but lawyer advised not to as they always
get away with the "act of God" defense.

Frank