Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cinder block or other material for chimney?

On May 12, 7:04�pm, "Charlie S." wrote:
"Charlie S." wrote

Was given an estimate for rebuilding the chimney today. ?Seemed fairly
reasonable and most likely will go forward.

Ok, not bad to get a second estimate if you can.

Found out a couple things.... One, that painting the chimney can trap
moisture and that if I do plan to paint the chimney I should use some
sort
of breathable paint. ?He said latex tends to trap moisture. ?I didn't
ask
him, but would that mean an oil based paint. ?That seems like it would
trap moisture more so? ?Is there a particular type of paint one should
use?

Not sure but I bet he will know.

He said the larger ones he can use on the bottom and weigh about 100
lbs.
The smaller one weigh about 50 lbs and he will use on top because it
would
weigh too much to carry on his shoulders.

What surprised me is that he is not using some sort of pulley system to
carry these things up and down the staging. ?Maybe the pulley is too
awkward or time consuming. ?Can't figure out why they wouldn't have a
simple pulley system for this type of construction.

Could be the lay of your land makes this hard. ?Difficult to tell.

Actually, I am curious about this. ?I've never heard of a cinderblock
chimney. ?Just brick ones.

have you considered a direct vent furnace and hot water tank? then
abandon and remove the chimey completely if you want

Never heard of them. �Would it work with a force hot water system? �Would I
have to buy a new boiler?- Hide quoted text -

yes they can be used for boilers. efficeny nearly always more the 95+

depending on the cost of the chimney, and the future savings on energy
it might be worthwhile.

there are direct vent adapters for gas hot water tanks too.

how old is you heating system? i would get a free quote from at least
2 heating contractors.

new heating plant not only saves you operating expense (fuel) but adds
resale value too