Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default OT - the fun and games of "upgrading" (computerwise)

B A R R Y wrote in
:

On 12 May 2008 18:34:52 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Good luck, charlie b! I'm typing this on my week-and-a-half old
computer. For me it wasn't switching from classic Mac OS to OS X, it
was going from XP to Vista. Vista has made improvements, but I've got
to find everything again.

I recently bought a $495 Acer laptop (a newegg.com "Special", $150
less than Staples!) with Windows Vista. I switched to "Classic" menus
and window layout, and I'm quite happy.

I honestly don't see what the Vista slamming is about, other than it
reminds me of the complaining when XP first was released. However, I
don't upgrade an OS, I replace the machine. I'm sure true upgraders,
with hot rodded hardware, have issues I can't even imagine...

I actually did look at a few MacBooks, but something comparable to
this $500 Vista machine would cost me $1500, so I passed. I wanted a
machine that would fit in my flight bag.

I figure with my $495 machine, I can run Open Office, all my 'net and
flight planning s/w, and take it all with me, to suck on the free WiFi
available at any small airport and most everywhere else.

My current desktop is 6 years old, and will remain in service.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

I have a Vista 3680-2633, about the same price with 2 GB Ram from
Microcenter. Now I have had it for 6 months or so and installed a whole
bunch of "nice" software, it does not want to install Vista SP1. I'll
have to make an image then try reinstalling Vista, upgrade to SP1, then
reinstall all my fucCtrlHCtrlHCtrlH nice software. GRUMPPHH!

--
Best regards
Han