Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Silicone caulking as a metal adhesive

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
tions...
Is this a relative of such adhesives as Sumo or Gorilla glue?
I have been disappointed with both. They are no match for epoxy (West
system, JB Weld).
They work fine for wood, provided you can sand afterwards as they swell up
and exude from the joint for quite a while.

But I would certainly be interested in details.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Two-part polyurethanes, which is what I think these guys are talking about,
are not much like moisture-cure polyurethanes, which is what Gorilla Glue
is.

Gorilla Glue has its uses, but the two-part stuff is more like a tenacious,
more-flexible epoxy. Its adhesion is tremendous, even on metals. It's an
industrial product. There may be consumer product versions of it, but I've
never seen any.

--
Ed Huntress

"William Noble" wrote in message

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
Silicon sealants exude acetic acid, causing rust and that's why a butyl
compound is used for auto glass installations.

yes, and the urethane is MUCH MUCH stronger - if there is interest, I can
explain, suffice it to say for now that I've used both on a large piece
of glass and if done right the Urethane is amazing