Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Silicone caulking as a metal adhesive

While experimenting with making rubber moulds from silicone caulking I
bought in Home Depot (not even the good stuff!) I found that the compound
adhered to mild steel with indecent tenacity. I had to throw two objects
away because the "mould" adhered to them in spite of my best efforts to
remove it.

I filed this experience for future reference. If one needed a strong joint
of two metal components with some "give", this seems worth considering.

Has anyone used silicone caulking or similar such to join metals?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Silicone comes in a whole bunch of "flavors". The stuff you buy for
caulking should
be pretty good for adhesion to most materials except plastics.

Some info that might be of help...

Add glycerine to the silicone you buy at the hardware store and you
get something that can cure without exposure to moisture. Four drops
per ounce, I think, is the right mix.

Use some sort of parting agent with this and especially any of the
PU products.

RTV silicones made especially for mold making (two part) are readily
available.
Usually cost in the order of $25.00 a pound.

The Yahoo group "casting" deals with this sort of thing.

My web site has pointers to a couple of books about mold making.
Look under resources.

DOC

Have robots. Will travel. http://www.robot-one.ca

On May 11, 9:46*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
While experimenting with making rubber moulds from silicone caulking I
bought in Home Depot (not even the good stuff!) I found that the compound
adhered to mild steel with indecent tenacity. I had to throw two objects
away because the "mould" adhered to them in spite of my best efforts to
remove it.

I filed this experience for future reference. If one needed a strong joint
of two metal components with some "give", this seems worth considering.

Has anyone used silicone caulking or similar such to join metals?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 May 2008 18:46:17 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

While experimenting with making rubber moulds from silicone caulking I
bought in Home Depot (not even the good stuff!) I found that the compound
adhered to mild steel with indecent tenacity. I had to throw two objects
away because the "mould" adhered to them in spite of my best efforts to
remove it.

I filed this experience for future reference. If one needed a strong joint
of two metal components with some "give", this seems worth considering.

Has anyone used silicone caulking or similar such to join metals?

BMW is using a Dow Automotive adhesive to replace a lot of welding in
the 7 series.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message

BMW is using a Dow Automotive adhesive to replace a lot of welding in
the 7 series.

the dow adhesive that I'm familiar with is a urethane, not a lsilicone - it
is hugely stronger than the silcone calking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Silicon sealants exude acetic acid, causing rust and that's why a butyl
compound is used for auto glass installations.

--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
Silicon sealants exude acetic acid, causing rust and that's why a butyl
compound is used for auto glass installations.

yes, and the urethane is MUCH MUCH stronger - if there is interest, I can
explain, suffice it to say for now that I've used both on a large piece of
glass and if done right the Urethane is amazing

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, it works, but 3M 5200 works MUCH better as an adhesive and it hardens
up 20 points harder than RTV on the Shore "A" scale and it's paintable.
Steve

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
rvecommunications...
While experimenting with making rubber moulds from silicone caulking I
bought in Home Depot (not even the good stuff!) I found that the compound
adhered to mild steel with indecent tenacity. I had to throw two objects
away because the "mould" adhered to them in spite of my best efforts to
remove it.

I filed this experience for future reference. If one needed a strong joint
of two metal components with some "give", this seems worth considering.

Has anyone used silicone caulking or similar such to join metals?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is this a relative of such adhesives as Sumo or Gorilla glue?
I have been disappointed with both. They are no match for epoxy (West
system, JB Weld).
They work fine for wood, provided you can sand afterwards as they swell up
and exude from the joint for quite a while.

But I would certainly be interested in details.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

"William Noble" wrote in message

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
Silicon sealants exude acetic acid, causing rust and that's why a butyl
compound is used for auto glass installations.

yes, and the urethane is MUCH MUCH stronger - if there is interest, I can
explain, suffice it to say for now that I've used both on a large piece of
glass and if done right the Urethane is amazing

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
tions...
Is this a relative of such adhesives as Sumo or Gorilla glue?
I have been disappointed with both. They are no match for epoxy (West
system, JB Weld).
They work fine for wood, provided you can sand afterwards as they swell up
and exude from the joint for quite a while.

But I would certainly be interested in details.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Two-part polyurethanes, which is what I think these guys are talking about,
are not much like moisture-cure polyurethanes, which is what Gorilla Glue
is.

Gorilla Glue has its uses, but the two-part stuff is more like a tenacious,
more-flexible epoxy. Its adhesion is tremendous, even on metals. It's an
industrial product. There may be consumer product versions of it, but I've
never seen any.

--
Ed Huntress

"William Noble" wrote in message

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
Silicon sealants exude acetic acid, causing rust and that's why a butyl
compound is used for auto glass installations.

yes, and the urethane is MUCH MUCH stronger - if there is interest, I can
explain, suffice it to say for now that I've used both on a large piece
of glass and if done right the Urethane is amazing

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
Silicon sealants exude acetic acid, causing rust and that's why a butyl
compound is used for auto glass installations.

--
Stupendous Man,

There are a large number of silicone adhesive formulations that do not exude
acetic acid. They are known as neutral cure or oxime cure. Check the
Dow-Corning site for examples.

I've used neutral cure silicone adhesives for decades on satellite
hardware. Some is air cure, some is 2 part.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:

I've used neutral cure silicone adhesives for decades on satellite
hardware. Some is air cure, some is 2 part.

That has to be one VERY long ladder! ;-)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM