Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S. Charlie S. is offline

Default Cinder block or other material for chimney?

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Charlie S." wrote

Was given an estimate for rebuilding the chimney today. Seemed fairly
reasonable and most likely will go forward.

Ok, not bad to get a second estimate if you can.

Had a few if them in the fall. This estimate is the best. All I want to do
now is check his references and see a sample or two of his work.

Found out a couple things.... One, that painting the chimney can trap
moisture and that if I do plan to paint the chimney I should use some
sort of breathable paint. He said latex tends to trap moisture. I
didn't ask him, but would that mean an oil based paint. That seems like
it would trap moisture more so? Is there a particular type of paint one
should use?

Not sure but I bet he will know.

He said the larger ones he can use on the bottom and weigh about 100 lbs.
The smaller one weigh about 50 lbs and he will use on top because it
would weigh too much to carry on his shoulders.

What surprised me is that he is not using some sort of pulley system to
carry these things up and down the staging. Maybe the pulley is too
awkward or time consuming. Can't figure out why they wouldn't have a
simple pulley system for this type of construction.

Could be the lay of your land makes this hard. Difficult to tell.

Yeah, he's going to have some difficulty putting up the staging. There is
only a 3 foot gap between the chimney and the neighbors fence.

Actually, I am curious about this. I've never heard of a cinderblock
chimney. Just brick ones.

http://mysite.verizon.net/stamkis/generalphotoalbum/