Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Organ metal

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
"Jon Elson" wrote in message
news
David Billington wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

David Billington wrote:

I wonder what the pewter I have would work like, it's 92-6-2, 92% tin,
6% antimony, 2% copper.

I thinbk Pewter is too brittle to be rolled into tubes.

You haven't tried working the stuff then, I can spin a tankard from a
flat disc without any anneals. In high school people regularly formed it
into tubes and soldered the joints. I have never seen it act in a brittle
fashion.

Then the stuff I thought was pewter must not have been. Probably some
cheap zinc imitation.

Yes, tin, antimoney and copper sounds like an alloy that should be easily
worked.

Jon

Pewter alloys are wacky, in that they get softer and more malleable with
cold working.
Freshly cast they are fairly brittle and hard because the crystals are big
and chunky. As you work them the grain gets more refined and they work like
butter.

Paul K. Dickman

Interesting you should say that as the the guy that supplied with the pewter sheet mentioned it work softening in his experience but he makes sheet and other products from cast ingots IIRC. My main experience with pewter (Britannia metal) is with rolled sheet upto 2mm thick although I do some casting and having just bent a cast handle with about 10mm thickness quite significantly without breakage, possibly that is a small section and the grain size is still small due to rapid cooling.