Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Decent wood stain that actually penetrates the wood???

On May 12, 6:53*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Mon, 12 May 2008 03:15:37 GMT, Calab wrote:
I have a pressure treated front porch (about 6'x20') and a cedar rear
deck (12'x12') that I can NOT get looking decent.

-snip-
What can I do to stain the wood instead of simply coating it?

I'm with Edwin. *If you want good looking- go to Mahogany [or Ipe].
Staining PT is like putting lipstick on a pig. *

PT is functional and low-maintenance; cedar, IMO, is way too soft for
a walking surface. * Neither is going to look great after the first
year.

I keep checking on the composition decking from recycled plastics.
Nothing has impressed me yet enough to get me off my duff to do my
font porch with them- so I'll probably end up with mahogany for about
$4-5/bd foot. *

Jim

Doesnt mahogany need stain just as well as pt, if absorption is the
issue from CCA a floor sander could remove it, but decks stains I
thought just dont last.