Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Decent wood stain that actually penetrates the wood???

I have a pressure treated front porch (about 6'x20') and a cedar rear
deck (12'x12') that I can NOT get looking decent.

I've tried staining them, hoping that the stain will soak into the wood
and not wear like paint would do, but no luck. In less than a year the
traffic patterns on both decks are very clearly evident.

I plan on sanding and doing something with them this year, but I can't
decide on just what to do.

What can I do to stain the wood instead of simply coating it?

--
Fight Usenet Spam!!! - http://improve-usenet.org:80/

Want a good newsgroup reader that will filter out GoogleGroups spam?
Try MesNews - http://www.mesnews.net/gb/

If you want your posts to be seen, DON'T USE GOOGLE GROUPS!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Calab" wrote in message
I have a pressure treated front porch (about 6'x20') and a cedar rear deck
(12'x12') that I can NOT get looking decent.

I've tried staining them, hoping that the stain will soak into the wood
and not wear like paint would do, but no luck. In less than a year the
traffic patterns on both decks are very clearly evident.

I plan on sanding and doing something with them this year, but I can't
decide on just what to do.

What can I do to stain the wood instead of simply coating it?

Pressure treated wood is already saturated with chemicals so stain is not
going to absorb well. Re-build the deck with mahogany.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 10:15*pm, Calab wrote:
I have a pressure treated front porch (about 6'x20') and a cedar rear
deck (12'x12') that I can NOT get looking decent.

I've tried staining them, hoping that the stain will soak into the wood
and not wear like paint would do, but no luck. In less than a year the
traffic patterns on both decks are very clearly evident.

I plan on sanding and doing something with them this year, but I can't
decide on just what to do.

What can I do to stain the wood instead of simply coating it?

--
Fight Usenet Spam!!! -http://improve-usenet.org:80/

Want a good newsgroup reader that will filter out GoogleGroups spam?
Try MesNews -http://www.mesnews.net/gb/

If you want your posts to be seen, DON'T USE GOOGLE GROUPS!

Staining them with what? Deck stain doesnt last long in general but
Consumer Reports has had an ongoing test for maybe 8? years that will
tell you what they have found to be best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 May 2008 03:15:37 GMT, Calab wrote:

I have a pressure treated front porch (about 6'x20') and a cedar rear
deck (12'x12') that I can NOT get looking decent.

-snip-
What can I do to stain the wood instead of simply coating it?

I'm with Edwin. If you want good looking- go to Mahogany [or Ipe].
Staining PT is like putting lipstick on a pig.

PT is functional and low-maintenance; cedar, IMO, is way too soft for
a walking surface. Neither is going to look great after the first
year.

I keep checking on the composition decking from recycled plastics.
Nothing has impressed me yet enough to get me off my duff to do my
font porch with them- so I'll probably end up with mahogany for about
$4-5/bd foot.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 6:53*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Mon, 12 May 2008 03:15:37 GMT, Calab wrote:
I have a pressure treated front porch (about 6'x20') and a cedar rear
deck (12'x12') that I can NOT get looking decent.

-snip-
What can I do to stain the wood instead of simply coating it?

I'm with Edwin. *If you want good looking- go to Mahogany [or Ipe].
Staining PT is like putting lipstick on a pig. *

PT is functional and low-maintenance; cedar, IMO, is way too soft for
a walking surface. * Neither is going to look great after the first
year.

I keep checking on the composition decking from recycled plastics.
Nothing has impressed me yet enough to get me off my duff to do my
font porch with them- so I'll probably end up with mahogany for about
$4-5/bd foot. *

Jim

Doesnt mahogany need stain just as well as pt, if absorption is the
issue from CCA a floor sander could remove it, but decks stains I
thought just dont last.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Calab wrote:

I have a pressure treated front porch (about 6'x20') and a cedar rear
deck (12'x12') that I can NOT get looking decent.

I've tried staining them, hoping that the stain will soak into the wood
and not wear like paint would do, but no luck. In less than a year the
traffic patterns on both decks are very clearly evident.

I plan on sanding and doing something with them this year, but I can't
decide on just what to do.

What can I do to stain the wood instead of simply coating it?

--
Fight Usenet Spam!!! - http://improve-usenet.org:80/

Want a good newsgroup reader that will filter out GoogleGroups spam?
Try MesNews - http://www.mesnews.net/gb/

If you want your posts to be seen, DON'T USE GOOGLE GROUPS!

I've had good luck using Sikkens Cetol SRD on my PT wood deck.

Whatever stain you choose, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AND DO THE PREP WORK.

Can I get a decent dark cherry finnish out of cheap wood? CraigT Woodworking 4 August 12th 07 01:31 AM
Stupid question about wood stain (wood tint) Toller Woodworking 9 March 27th 07 04:16 AM
ZAR Wood Stain James Woodworking 12 December 8th 06 09:38 PM
wood stain, pre-stain, clear coat questions peter Home Repair 5 May 24th 05 08:51 PM
Can you get decent wood at the Borg? [email protected] Home Repair 22 January 14th 04 03:21 AM