Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S. Charlie S. is offline

Default Cinder block or other material for chimney?

Chunks of our 40 year old cinder block chimney are falling to the ground.
Tomorrow, someone is coming over to give us an estimate. Originally, we
were just
going to rebuild from the roofline to the peak. But, I noticed that
there is water type deterioration 4 or bricks lower.

The chimney is up against the outside of the house. It goes from the ground
to the peak of a two story house with an attic. Thus, it is somewhat tall.

I'm wondering if there are different grades of cinder blocks that might last
longer? Or, other materials that are currently used for rebuilding that
might be stronger or better in some other way?

Also, have smaller brick chimney we are going to rebuild. Will ask about
that one in another post.