Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Silicone caulking as a metal adhesive

While experimenting with making rubber moulds from silicone caulking I
bought in Home Depot (not even the good stuff!) I found that the compound
adhered to mild steel with indecent tenacity. I had to throw two objects
away because the "mould" adhered to them in spite of my best efforts to
remove it.

I filed this experience for future reference. If one needed a strong joint
of two metal components with some "give", this seems worth considering.

Has anyone used silicone caulking or similar such to join metals?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC