Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Wood Rot in Sub-Floor

evodawg wrote in news:YXmVj.1878$T1.1094@trnddc01:

wrote:

On May 10, 12:04Â*pm, evodawg wrote:
wrote:
Hi-
We are replacing our ceramic tile floor and sub floor and have
discovered that there is some minor wood rot on the tops of some
of the beams (about 1/2 inch deep). Â*Is it possible to repair
this damage and would that pass an inspection in the future? Â*If
so, what are the best ways to repair this type of rot?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Â*Thanks!

Just sister some new ones in. Do you know what I mean when I say
sister?

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I think that you mean just add another 2x4 on the side of the rooted
boards, right? Do we need to treat the rot?

Is it dry rot or from moisture getting in? It should dry out just
being exposed. If you're concerned take a chisel and remove it.

Yes that's what I mean when I say sister. You might want to screw the
2 X in instead of nailing. Nailing can cause cracks or drywall nails
to show up on other side.

Won't say that using screws is necessary but you might want to add not to
use drywall screws. Very brittle, thin necks and can snap over time with
natural movement. Can also snap with torque on install.