Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] man@privacy.net[_2_] is offline

Default Lending library for tools

On Mon, 5 May 2008 06:49:45 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

:Bob wrote:
: There was an article in Saturday's paper about our local library
: considering lending tools as well as books. It mentioned such
: things as cement mixers, saws, etc.
:
: At first, I thought it was an interesting idea, but on second
: thought I imagined how those tools could, and probably would, be
: abused by people who don't know how to use them or care for them, or
: just don't care.
:
: For example:
: "I didn't know you weren't supposed to cut tile with a skill saw".
: "I didn't realize there were nails in that old 2 X 4 - but the saw
: cut them pretty good".
: "Rain wasn't forecast, so I thought it would be okay to leave the
: miter saw outside since I was going to use it in the morning".
: "I thought I'd washed the concrete mixer pretty good - guess not".
: Etc - etc.
:
: Then there is the liability problem:
: "Your Honor, nobody showed me how to use that router well enough,
: and that's how I lost a finger, and why I am suing the city".
:
: The article said there are other libraries that loan tools. Is
: anyone aware of this practice and how it works in reality?
:
:
:The Berkeley library has a branch that loans tools. Post-hole diggers,
:scaffolding, pressure washers, ladders, hand tools, whatever.
:
:Consequently, there are no tool rental stores in Berkeley.

There used to be at least one rental store, down on San Pablo sort of
near Channing, IIRC. Are they closed now? They had stuff you wouldn't be
able to get at the TLL, I think.
:
:How about libraries loaning tables and chairs for a reception? Trucks or
:trailers for that one-time move? Heck, why not limousines for the prom?
:Small airplanes for drilling holes in the sky on a lazy weekend? Deep-sea
:fishing boats? Clowns for your three-year-old's birthday party?
:
:I am not in favor of buring books. Most library administrators, however,
:should be herded together then somebody strike a flint.

Redneck?? In Berkeley?? Takes all kinds.