Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Whie O rings

lots of substances besides teflon can be white, and teflon is rarely used as
an o-ring - it doesn't have the right properties. there are silcone
compounds in any color you want, for example - but I did post a few salient
links earlier today

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
(Arch) wrote:

No answer yet to my question re a source of white O rings. Maybe
because it was considered hijacking. If so, I'll apologize and ask in
a separate thread. Anyone know of a source of light colored O rings
Maybe for medical or scientific instruments.

BTW, I've heard that fluorocarbon rings can produce carcinogens when
heated. Unlikely, but are there any known risks from contact with
wine, vinegar, etc?

Assuming you mean some variation of teflon ...

Supposedly chemically inert up to about 400F. Lots of warnings about the
use of Teflon pots and pans around pet birds as the birds are reputed to
be highly sensitive to the gases released. There has been a lot of
controversy over this, but we have two parrots and do not use any teflon
just to be safe. Since it is chemically inert below 500F, I doubt there
would be any problems with wine, etc. However, I am NOT a chemist.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter