Mike

Default Plans needed: Ugly garage shelves

Doug,

I have some shelves that I built for my garage and my sister's garage.
They work great. They're ugly but strong. I could writeup some
plans if you're interested. The shelves are 18" high (until 2' before
ceiling -- depends on height of garage), 2' deep, and 4' wide. You
could make them whatever height/depth you want (my sister's are 18"
deep), that's the best part. They easily support me standing on them
and they go up in an afternoon. Mine are 12' long and my sister's are
8' long.

I make them out of 2x4s 1x4s, 1x3s and 4x8 sheets of 3/4" OSB flooring
($10 a sheet). I think I spent $70 on my sister's 8' long, 18" deep,
8' high section.

The shelves slide in and out if you need to rearrange them and the
posts/supports are all installed with screws (oh, and I used my pocket
jig -- the mini-jig is $20 for jig and stepped drill bit).

Let me know if you're interested.

Mike

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
Strange as it sounds, I'm having a devil of a time finding plans for some
basic floorstanding garage shelves. Spacing between shelves needs to be big
enough to store medium-sized U-Haul boxes and other big stuff, and I don't
care how ugly they are, as long as they're strong. Screw assembly is
preferable to nails, because I'll be moving within the next couple of years
and would like to be able to disassemble them. Can anyone provide a web
link, or the name & author of a book that's useful? My public library hasn't
been much help.
-Doug