Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Organ metal

If you can roll out a block into a sheet or a rod into a sheet -
buy bulk solder. Tin-lead by percentages.

It comes in sticks and ingots. A electronic supply house can set up an order.
Or perhaps direct.

Look at a solder company. Tin lead.
http://www.kester.com/en-us/products/index.aspx
Page 9 on the North American 2007 Recommended Electronics Assembly....

You will need a roller - and roll out a sheet as needed.
I'd take the bars and make smaller sheets.

It would be nice to have a chunk from an old one and have it analyzed
for the content % of material. Normally it is a simple and low cost test.
Inquire as to what is needed (match head likely) and price.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:
I'm hoping to build a small pipe organ this summer, and as well as a
rank of wooden pipes, I would like to make a set of small metal ones.
The largest would be 2', going down to a few inches. The trouble is
that most organ builders cast their own mixture of lead and tin for
pipe building, which I don't belive is comercially available. Can
anyone suggest another sheet metal that is:

Easily worked
Solders well with an iron
Isn't too hard to get hold of
Isn't going to break the bank

Sorry if this is the wrong group; many thanks.