Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default wood fence gate not plumb

"Norminn" wrote in message
m...
clipped

So that leads to my questions. Are there other remedies to consider. Can
I shim the hinges? Can I somehow buy some sophisticated hinges that are
capable of adjustments inward and outward that would make it less
noticable?

Any ideas appreciated.

MC

I'm not a fence builder. Can you put a wheel on
the inside ends of the gates so it takes some of the weight off the fence?
How deep did you place the
posts? If you can put a wheel on the gate, perhaps when the ground is wet
and softer so the posts
might straighten? What's under the gate opening - pavement? I don't see
how changing the hinges
would accomplish anything .... seems the weight of the gates, and,
perhaps, the leverage of opening
them is too much for the support system (not deep enough).

It is not the weight of the gate pulling it out of plumb, the bottom is soil
so I cannot put a wheel. I wish I can.

I found that the two posts are actually plumb but the posts are offset from
each other. An entirely different problem.

Thanks,

MC