Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wood fence gate not plumb

I had a wood fence built and the fence gates are not lined up. The fence
was built six months ago and after some rain and sun now the problem
magnified.

There are two gates, one left and one right, 5' wide each with a total of
10' opening. Posts and gates are 6' tall.

The fence posts are plumb when you look at the gates from the front.

The fence posts are not plumb when you stand at the gate opening and look
left and right. One tilt forward a bit and one tilt backward a bit.
Therefore the gates are tilted in opposite directions. At the top the if I
measure the two tip of the gates where they are supposed to line up, they
are just a bit over 4 inches apart.

OK I know the proper thing to do is to pull the post up, break the concrete
and redo the post and reattach the gates. But...

The way I constructed the posts, I knew the 5' gates would be heavy and may
pull on the gates. So I had the fence post for the gate and the nearest
next fence post (which is about 3 feet away, anchored into the same
concrete. I dug a tench 4 feet long, and sank both posts into it, and then
poured solid concrete into it, with the intention to not let the fence post
pull on the concrete at all, and I did a good job of it in one direction. I
am really not looking forward to deconstruct the entire section of the fence
wall and pull up that concrete on both sides.

So that leads to my questions. Are there other remedies to consider. Can I
shim the hinges? Can I somehow buy some sophisticated hinges that are
capable of adjustments inward and outward that would make it less noticable?

Any ideas appreciated.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

[...]

If the concrete is holding the posts in their original position then its not
the posts. Install 2 adjustable wire tensioners, also known as dolphin
strikers. This will pull the outside of gates up if they are sagging.
Usually the weight at the ends cause the gate to sag.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"evodawg" wrote in message
MiamiCuse wrote:

[...]

There is no sag. The movement is not in the direction of the two gates
tilting towards each other. The movement is on gate is tilting forward
(towards you if you standing in front of the gate) and the other gate is
tilting backwards (away from you if you are facing it), it's not plumb at an
axis 90 degrees from what you were thinking. I hope I explained this right.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

[...]

I understand what your saying. Are the post leaning in opposite directions
or are the gates warped? You might try shims and longer screws.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 12:09*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

I doubt you are going to fix a 4 inch gap with some shims or a special
hinge.

What has caused the posts to be out of plumb? Have you dug down along
the base to see if the concrete cracked or if the posts warped?

Maybe you could force the posts back into plumb and then use
"diagonals" on both sides of each post (perpendicular to the fence
line) with the ends buried in concrete to prevent the posts from
leaning in either direction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I had a wood fence built and the fence gates are not lined up. The
fence was built six months ago and after some rain and sun now the
problem magnified.

If the posts are absolutely vertical and it's the gates themselves that are
warped, you can use turnbuckles to bring them back straight.

I don't hold much long term hope for that process unless you leave the
turnbuckles in place.

Go for 1" angle iron (or similar) and bolt it as a diagonal on the gates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

Remove the gates and hinges. Fasten the two halves of the gate together
using a temporary stringer of a few 2x4 or 1x2 just to hold it in alignment.
Use additioanl scrap wood to position the gate on the posts temporarily
using screws. Now figure out where the hinges need to go. You might need
to switch from gate hinges (front surface mount) to regular door hinges or
whatever looks lik it will work (sorry no pictures, no precise advice).
You might even need to add some lumber to the gate to support a new hinge
location.

If I read you right then a front surface mounted hinge should be able to be
shimmed either on the door or the post. If you do this, shim all 4 hinges
so it looks intentional.

This should get the gates to align when closed but if the posts are so out
of whack, it might just result in the gate swinging open by gravity or
looking cockeyed when opened or binding when opening. You might not be
abole to make it look good in all positions. A spring loaded hinge should
help if it wants to open on its own. There are many kinds of gate hinges,
some are more forgiving of misalignment than others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

MiamiCuse wrote:
I had a wood fence built and the fence gates are not lined up. The
fence was built six months ago and after some rain and sun now the
problem magnified.

If the posts are absolutely vertical and it's the gates themselves that are
warped, you can use turnbuckles to bring them back straight.

I don't hold much long term hope for that process unless you leave the
turnbuckles in place.

Go for 1" angle iron (or similar) and bolt it as a diagonal on the gates.

OP said that one of the posts is not plumb. I think that's a synonym for
vertical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 3:51*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*"HeyBub" wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
I had a wood fence built and the fence gates are not lined up. *The
fence was built six months ago and after some rain and sun now the
problem magnified.

If the posts are absolutely vertical and it's the gates themselves that are
warped, you can use turnbuckles to bring them back straight.

I don't hold much long term hope for that process unless you leave the
turnbuckles in place.

Go for 1" angle iron (or similar) and bolt it as a diagonal on the gates..

OP said that one of the posts is not plumb. I think that's a synonym for
vertical.

OP said that one of the posts is not plumb.

Actually, OP said that *both* posts are not plumb.

"The fence posts are not plumb when you stand at the gate opening and
look left and right. One tilt forward a bit and one tilt backward a
bit."
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

So that leads to my questions. Are there other remedies to consider. Can I
shim the hinges? Can I somehow buy some sophisticated hinges that are
capable of adjustments inward and outward that would make it less noticable?

Any ideas appreciated.

MC

I'm not a fence builder. Can you put a wheel on
the inside ends of the gates so it takes some of the weight off the
fence? How deep did you place the
posts? If you can put a wheel on the gate, perhaps when the ground is
wet and softer so the posts
might straighten? What's under the gate opening - pavement? I don't
see how changing the hinges
would accomplish anything .... seems the weight of the gates, and,
perhaps, the leverage of opening
them is too much for the support system (not deep enough).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

clipped

So that leads to my questions. Are there other remedies to
consider. Can I shim the hinges? Can I somehow buy some
sophisticated hinges that are capable of adjustments inward and
outward that would make it less noticable?

Any ideas appreciated.

MC

I'm not a fence builder. Can you put a wheel on
the inside ends of the gates so it takes some of the weight off the
fence? How deep did you place the
posts? If you can put a wheel on the gate, perhaps when the ground is
wet and softer so the posts
might straighten? What's under the gate opening - pavement? I don't
see how changing the hinges
would accomplish anything .... seems the weight of the gates, and,
perhaps, the leverage of opening
them is too much for the support system (not deep enough).

P.S. If the concrete in the trench isn't terribly wide, you might be
able to install another post, deeper,
on each side and sistered to the existing, out-of-plumb posts. Less
demo/excapvation. Or, possibly,
a hinge in the middle of each section of the gate - the thought being
that you "fold" each section of the
gate before opening it fully and have less leverage pulling the posts
out of plumb. Gosh, I wish I knew
the math )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 May 2008 10:49:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

What has caused the posts to be out of plumb? Have you dug down along
the base to see if the concrete cracked or if the posts warped?

Maybe... not bracing them while concrete cured and checking with a
level, during the process.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2008 1:09 PM Norminn spake thus:

So that leads to my questions. Are there other remedies to consider. Can I
shim the hinges? Can I somehow buy some sophisticated hinges that are
capable of adjustments inward and outward that would make it less noticable?

Any ideas appreciated.

I'm not a fence builder. Can you put a wheel on the inside ends of
the gates so it takes some of the weight off the fence?

I'll just answer this part of your post: yes, you can. In fact, I just
did that recently for two large gates I built that seem uncannily like
the ones the O.P. described: each about 5' wide, 6' tall. I bought 2
casters from Grainger with fairly solid but resilient treads and put
them under each gate. So far, they seem to be working fine. (You must,
of course, level the path the wheels take.) It takes most of the strain
off the hinges.

I actually had the same problem he seems to be having--the posts not
lining up with each other--but in my case they were only off by a little
more than an inch. I suspect he simply wasn't careful enough plumbing
the posts when the concrete was setting.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 May 2008 15:34:12 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

I suspect he simply wasn't careful enough plumbing
the posts when the concrete was setting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

What kind of hinges are they? If strap, you could recess the "out" one and
shim the "in" one. If mortice hinges, cut new mortices on either post or
gate at an angle so the gate is vertical when mounted.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"evodawg" wrote in message

MiamiCuse wrote:

[...]

I went and did some measurements and checked alignment, and determined that
it is a combinations of things.

First, one of the posts is out of alignment. It is plumb, but out of
alignment. If I stretch a string from one corner of the fence all the way
to the other corner, crossing all the intermediate posts, one of the posts
is out of alignment by about 1.5 inches. In other words, I have posts A, B,
C, D, GATE - GATE, E, F, G, H, and I string from A to H, post E is shifted
north by an extra 1.5 inches.

Second, both gates were warped. This is probably due to a combination of
bad hardware (angles were rusted) and bad wood (the fence contractor ran out
of PT wood and were short two pieces and sub in normal wood I had laying
around for indoor framing) and now some are badly warped.

I will need to rebuild the gate, no doubt, use stainless steel hardware and
better parts.

However I would rather not redo post E, since posts E & F are both cemented
into a single wide trenched concrete footing. However, the hinges I have
must mount on the face of the fence and gate so no shifting or offset is
possible. Are there any fence hinges I can use that allows mounting of it
on the inside (like door hinges), this will allow me to mount both gates
with a slight shift from the posts. I just don't know if such hinges are
possible (strong enough) for fences. I will ask in another thread.

Thanks!

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

I AM SORRY, actually I lied. I just checked and the posts are plumb (or
close enough). The gates were badly warped and it distorted my vision.

It is a combination of the two posts being plumbed but one is further inside
by 1.5" then the other post, and the installer forced the drop rod in the
right place (hence twisting the gate etc...)

I need to rebuild the gates and also find a way to mount the hinges such
that an offset is possible.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

Are there any fence hinges I can use
that allows mounting of it on the inside (like door hinges), this
will allow me to mount both gates with a slight shift from the posts.

You could easily make your own with four eyebolts and a length of iron rod
similar in diameter to the eyes.

I just don't know if such hinges are possible (strong enough) for
fences.

Ever see any of those huge doors on cathedrals? They make your fence gate
look like tinker toys

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article MnnVj.1879$T1.1153@trnddc01, "dadiOH"
wrote:

MiamiCuse wrote:

Are there any fence hinges I can use
that allows mounting of it on the inside (like door hinges), this
will allow me to mount both gates with a slight shift from the posts.

You could easily make your own with four eyebolts and a length of iron rod
similar in diameter to the eyes.

I just don't know if such hinges are possible (strong enough) for
fences.

Ever see any of those huge doors on cathedrals? They make your fence gate
look like tinker toys

Sure, but are they really just hung from a hinge?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
m...
clipped

So that leads to my questions. Are there other remedies to consider. Can
I shim the hinges? Can I somehow buy some sophisticated hinges that are
capable of adjustments inward and outward that would make it less
noticable?

Any ideas appreciated.

MC

I'm not a fence builder. Can you put a wheel on
the inside ends of the gates so it takes some of the weight off the fence?
How deep did you place the
posts? If you can put a wheel on the gate, perhaps when the ground is wet
and softer so the posts
might straighten? What's under the gate opening - pavement? I don't see
how changing the hinges
would accomplish anything .... seems the weight of the gates, and,
perhaps, the leverage of opening
them is too much for the support system (not deep enough).

It is not the weight of the gate pulling it out of plumb, the bottom is soil
so I cannot put a wheel. I wish I can.

I found that the two posts are actually plumb but the posts are offset from
each other. An entirely different problem.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

MiamiCuse wrote:

Are there any fence hinges I can use
that allows mounting of it on the inside (like door hinges), this
will allow me to mount both gates with a slight shift from the
posts.

You could easily make your own with four eyebolts and a length of
iron rod similar in diameter to the eyes.

I just don't know if such hinges are possible (strong enough) for
fences.

Ever see any of those huge doors on cathedrals? They make your
fence gate look like tinker toys

Sure, but are they really just hung from a hinge?

Yes.

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

It is a combination of the two posts being plumbed but one is further

inside
by 1.5" then the other post, and the installer forced the drop rod in the
right place (hence twisting the gate etc...)

I need to rebuild the gates and also find a way to mount the hinges such
that an offset is possible.

OK if one post is behind the other by 1 1/2 inches then remove the hinges
from the post that is too far back and bolt on a 2 X something. this should
bring the face back to where you need it. buy some bolts that are an inch
and a half longer and now the hinge side of each gate will be in the right
place.

Now all you need to do is to tweak your gates back into shape and everything
should work fine.

--
Roger Shoaf

Fence Gate Stoutman Woodworking 9 May 14th 07 07:02 PM
OT? Size of fence gate? Peter Bogiatzidis Woodworking 2 September 5th 06 04:13 PM
Lattice fence and gate [email protected] Woodworking 0 May 8th 06 03:13 AM
Fence/Gate repair C. Massey Home Repair 2 November 29th 05 04:46 AM
Building a fence and large gate Darren Woodworking 9 June 30th 05 05:40 PM