Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Organ metal

Christopher Tidy wrote:
David Billington wrote:

snip

Have you seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rb8FMvbe20 . Looks
like it might be fairly easy to replicate. Christopher, in another
reply, mentioned higher levels of tin in better quality work so
maybe pewter (britania metal) might be an option, although I have
never tried to solder it with an iron only torch. It would also help
if you mentioned your location.

That's an interesting video. To elaborate, this is what the book says
about alloy composition:

"In the last hundred years or more, lead-tin alloy pipes for organs
have been made with as high a composition as 85 wt% lead and 15 wt%
tin. However, the organ trade had the view that no alloy for organ
pipes contain less than 25 % tin, and in really good work no alloy
with less than 55 % tin should be employed."

Best wishes,

Chris

I wonder what the pewter I have would work like, it's 92-6-2, 92% tin,
6% antimony, 2% copper.

And the things you find on the internet
www.hevanet.com/dibblee/pipe_metallurgy.pdf