Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Organ metal

wrote:
I'm hoping to build a small pipe organ this summer, and as well as a
rank of wooden pipes, I would like to make a set of small metal ones.
The largest would be 2', going down to a few inches. The trouble is
that most organ builders cast their own mixture of lead and tin for
pipe building, which I don't belive is comercially available. Can
anyone suggest another sheet metal that is:

Easily worked
Solders well with an iron
Isn't too hard to get hold of
Isn't going to break the bank

Sorry if this is the wrong group; many thanks.

Have you seen this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rb8FMvbe20 . Looks
like it might be fairly easy to replicate. Christopher, in another
reply, mentioned higher levels of tin in better quality work so maybe
pewter (britania metal) might be an option, although I have never
tried to solder it with an iron only torch. It would also help if you
mentioned your location.