Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Titanium Alloys?

On May 9, 8:04 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Not that I know of, Dan. Titanium has a reputation for not work-hardening
very much. It's worth checking out, in the machining context, but I'm pretty
sure that's the situation in general.

Titanium can be miserable to machine -- I remember doing some machining of
it back in the mid-'70s -- but my recollection is that it was more tough and
gummy than hard. But that's pretty far back in memory for me.

--
Ed Huntress

Hmmm. I did a little looking on the internet and found sites that
said Titanium work hardens about like 1020 steel, that is not a lot.
But they followed this with warnings not to do anything that would
work harden it. Possibly more because it will gall and also because
it does not conduct heat well. So it sounds as if you can't harden
titanium much by work hardening, you need to machine it as if it does
work harden.

Dan