Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wire gauge for a certain length and load?

On May 9, 8:58�pm, ransley wrote:
On May 9, 8:41�am, (chenopod)
wrote:

I have a few questions that involve simple electrical wire theory, but the
situation gets a little bit complicated.

I am trying to run an extension cord (or cords) into the woods to power a
stage, with fairly powerful musical equipment, lights, PA, etc.

I'm assuming the power outlets that will be available are standard
grounded 120 Volt, hopefully on the heavy duty side. The equipment I'm
looking to power totals several thousand watts (rated at, lets say, 3000
W). �However, the power draw is not consistent... it fluctuates with how
hard the equipment is being pushed from moment to moment. �

The distance is more than 1000 feet (probably more like 2000 ft). �If I
were to buy a single cord that is suitable for this job, I'm guessing the
outlet itself would be the limiting factor in terms of resistance and
heat, and I don't want to start any fires. �I'm not even sure if a wire
that is a large enough gauge would even come with the standard outlet
plug.

At this power draw and distance, even several 120-V outlets might not do
the job, if the wire that runs from the power lines to the outlet box (or
any internal wiring) is not a heavy enough gauge. �For this type of job,
do I need to look into other methods of getting enough power from the pole
besides running several extension cords?

Does anyone have any specific advice on how to tackle this problem? (i.e..
what type of gauge wire, how many extension cords, how to correctly tap
the power lines, etc.)

Your help is most appreciated.

-Dave

Delivered via �http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

� TROLL A Generator, its a bunch of trolls cranking a gen unit. You
could buy many many generators cheaper than the cable yur troliin fer- Hide quoted text -

a friend does shows and has similiar issues. all solved by using a
inverter connected to her vans battery, with the engine running.

one must realize that loads like audio systems rated a X watts, is
audio watts out. much less than power line voltage watts in.

my friends entire audio system and some lamps run fine on a 1000 watt
inverter. plus its a variable load, the inverter doesnt even get warm.

put a meter, like a clamp on amp meter or kill a watt meter on the
entire setup. you will likely be pleasantly surprised........