Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wire gauge for a certain length and load?

I have a few questions that involve simple electrical wire theory, but the
situation gets a little bit complicated.

I am trying to run an extension cord (or cords) into the woods to power a
stage, with fairly powerful musical equipment, lights, PA, etc.

I'm assuming the power outlets that will be available are standard
grounded 120 Volt, hopefully on the heavy duty side. The equipment I'm
looking to power totals several thousand watts (rated at, lets say, 3000
W). However, the power draw is not consistent... it fluctuates with how
hard the equipment is being pushed from moment to moment.

The distance is more than 1000 feet (probably more like 2000 ft). If I
were to buy a single cord that is suitable for this job, I'm guessing the
outlet itself would be the limiting factor in terms of resistance and
heat, and I don't want to start any fires. I'm not even sure if a wire
that is a large enough gauge would even come with the standard outlet
plug.

At this power draw and distance, even several 120-V outlets might not do
the job, if the wire that runs from the power lines to the outlet box (or
any internal wiring) is not a heavy enough gauge. For this type of job,
do I need to look into other methods of getting enough power from the pole
besides running several extension cords?

Does anyone have any specific advice on how to tackle this problem? (i.e.
what type of gauge wire, how many extension cords, how to correctly tap
the power lines, etc.)

Your help is most appreciated.

-Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
(chenopod) wrote:

[...]

3000 watts is only two typical 15 amp (@ 120VAC) circuits. You could
run 240V out there and split it on site. That will reduce your
transmission losses and wire gauge requirements substantially. Here's a
calculator:

http://www.securitypower.com/WireLossCalculator.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"chenopod" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Is there any reason why you cannot rent or buy a generator? A two thousand
foot extension cord is not very practical for such a small load. You can
get heavier gauge SO cord or single conductors but the wire will be quite
expensive and heavy and you will need connectors every few hundred feet.

If you are concerned about noise from a generator, contact companies that
rent motion picture equipment. Their generators are practically noiseless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chenopod" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You should look at another way to supply the power. It would take 2 or 3
extension cords made out of # 6 or # 8 copper wire. This is not something
off the local electrical store. You would have to find seperate circuits to
plug into. Most home 120v outlets are only good for 15 or 20 amps. It
would take about 10 amps per 1200 watts.

A big part of the problem is the voltage drop of the wires. Too small wire
and there will not be enough voltage to power the load.

Posted to alt.home.repair

chenopod wrote:

[...]

Eighty 25 ft, 20 gauge TROLL-e-lectric extension cords in series should
do. Just plug the set into any 5 amp outlet and you're good to go. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 8:41*am, (chenopod)
wrote:
[...]

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

TROLL A Generator, its a bunch of trolls cranking a gen unit. You
could buy many many generators cheaper than the cable yur troliin fer
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 8:58�pm, ransley wrote:
On May 9, 8:41�am, (chenopod)
wrote:

[...]

could buy many many generators cheaper than the cable yur troliin fer- Hide quoted text -

a friend does shows and has similiar issues. all solved by using a
inverter connected to her vans battery, with the engine running.

one must realize that loads like audio systems rated a X watts, is
audio watts out. much less than power line voltage watts in.

my friends entire audio system and some lamps run fine on a 1000 watt
inverter. plus its a variable load, the inverter doesnt even get warm.

put a meter, like a clamp on amp meter or kill a watt meter on the
entire setup. you will likely be pleasantly surprised........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 9:23Â*pm, " wrote:
On May 9, 8:58�pm, ransley wrote:

On May 9, 8:41�am, (chenopod)
wrote:

[...]

entire setup. you will likely be pleasantly surprised........- Hide quoted text -

Audio watts out can easily and more than equal input, my 600w rms mono
power amp will blow a 15amp fuse on peaks, and its no cheapie at
1000$, I have another 200w head that uses a 3.5 amp fuse. A music
group will likely need all that 3000 plus 2000+ in intermitant peaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

chenopod wrote:
I have a few questions that involve simple electrical wire theory,
but the situation gets a little bit complicated.

I am trying to run an extension cord (or cords) into the woods to
power a stage, with fairly powerful musical equipment, lights, PA,
etc.

Is it really appropriate to use modern, electronic equipment for a
back-to-nature event?

Wouldn't strolling minstrels be better?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 10:54Â*pm, ransley wrote:
On May 9, 9:23Â*pm, " wrote:

On May 9, 8:58�pm, ransley wrote:

On May 9, 8:41�am, (chenopod)
wrote:

[...]

group will likely need all that 3000 plus 2000+ in intermitant peaks.- Hide quoted text -

assemble the entire system, and monitor its power use.........

only way to know for certain/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09 May 2008 13:41:15 GMT,
(chenopod) wrote:

[...]

3kw is at least 30a of 120v current. You could plug it all into two
outlets on two circuit breakers, if you weren't 3000 feet away. Since
you are, there would be a great deal of loss in the lines going back,
and you'd have to run two cords. Your best bet is to rent one large
quiet generator; get 4-5kw so you aren't pushing it too hard. If you
want to buy something, buy a pair of Honda EU 2000 units with the
parallel wiring kit. They are very quiet and will likely last forever
in the use you propose. This would probably be only about double the
price you'd pay for the wiring to do the job with extension cords, and
it would actually work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 10:30�am, Chris Hill wrote:
On 09 May 2008 13:41:15 GMT,

(chenopod) wrote:
[...]

it would actually work.- Hide quoted text -

if its a one shot deal, the best bet is a generator.

if its a long term use location direct burial cable, or even get a
quote from the local power company for some poles and a transformer at
the site.

such a estimate should be free.

if you can get a vehicle to the location, and thats likely given the
equiptement used.

a generator powered from a vehicle, or a inverter on a vehicle, or two
inverters on 2 seperate vehicles might be cost effective.

inverters are nice to have around
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 May 2008 07:48:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

if its a one shot deal, the best bet is a generator.

if its a long term use location direct burial cable, or even get a
quote from the local power company for some poles and a transformer at
the site.

That's the best idea for a long-term venue. Runing cables without a
transformer would require very heavy cables and the cost would be
quite high. By the time you bought and buried the cables for a 110 or
220 volt solution, you could have paid for the generators and you
wouldn't have a trench to fill in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

chenopod wrote:
[...]

One walk-in-off-the-street price for 6-3 outdoor wire comes to about $3.50 /
ft. Say 1500 feet, you're talking over $5000.

Buy a trailer-mounted propane powered diesel generator.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.homepower

HeyBub wrote:

One walk-in-off-the-street price for 6-3 outdoor wire comes to about $3.50 /
ft. Say 1500 feet, you're talking over $5000.

How much for a couple of used 3 kVA 240-480V transformers and skinnier wire?

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.homepower

On May 11, 5:14�pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/11/2008 4:51 AM spake thus:

HeyBub wrote:

One walk-in-off-the-street price for 6-3 outdoor wire comes to about $3.50 /
ft. Say 1500 feet, you're talking over $5000.

How much for a couple of used 3 kVA 240-480V transformers and skinnier wire?

Interesting idea (and I see someone gave some ballpark figures down yonder).

I'm wondering about losses: how much power would be lost in that pair of
xformers?

In case anyone's wondering why in the world one would want to do this,
it's because the higher the voltage, the skinnier the wire needed to
carry the same (power) load (think high-voltage transmission lines),
with smaller losses due to resistance.

transformers are pretty efficent, otherwise power companies wouldnt
use them. I will ask a buddy of mine who used to work for allis
chalmers in the 60s, he was a design engineer for power company
transformers. given their long life many he designed are likely still
in use today.

wire gauge greif Home Repair 8 June 30th 07 12:31 PM
Find the correct wire size for a load or the load for a selected wire size [email protected] Home Repair 5 December 13th 06 01:09 AM
What gauge wire for fuse; VA vs. W mm Electronics Repair 9 September 21st 06 03:53 PM
Can I stick two 4 gauge and one 6 gauge wire into a 3/4" conduit Ignoramus29948 Home Repair 11 September 13th 06 12:32 PM
Is 10 gauge wire enough to run compressor? thetiler Home Repair 25 April 29th 06 12:58 PM