Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown pipedown is offline

Default Installed ceiling fan but breaker keeps tripping

wrote in message
I have replaced all the lighting and ceiling fans with no problem,
except in my room. I have tried to put in another ceiling fan and
there is a spark and the breaker trips. Do I have to call an
electrician?

Use a circuit tester to verify that the hot, neutral and ground were not
miswired for that fixture. Also check the switch that controls the fan.
You shouldn't get a spark at all if you wired it up then turned on the
breaker then flipped the switch. The breaker should have just tripped with
no excitement. If you are seeing an arc inside the fan, maybe it is
defective. Temporarily hook up a normal lamp to check power.

You may also have mixed up the lamp and motor wires.