Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installed ceiling fan but breaker keeps tripping

I have replaced all the lighting and ceiling fans with no problem,
except in my room. I have tried to put in another ceiling fan and
there is a spark and the breaker trips. Do I have to call an
electrician?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have replaced all the lighting and ceiling fans with no problem,
except in my room. I have tried to put in another ceiling fan and
there is a spark and the breaker trips. Do I have to call an
electrician?

You will need to re-open the connection box in the fan and re-examin the
connections that you made. It's obvious that you have a short and it may be
readily seen by a blackened or melted connector. If nothing is obvious you
*will* have to call an electrician. Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have replaced all the lighting and ceiling fans with no problem,
except in my room. I have tried to put in another ceiling fan and
there is a spark and the breaker trips. Do I have to call an
electrician?

Use a circuit tester to verify that the hot, neutral and ground were not
miswired for that fixture. Also check the switch that controls the fan.
You shouldn't get a spark at all if you wired it up then turned on the
breaker then flipped the switch. The breaker should have just tripped with
no excitement. If you are seeing an arc inside the fan, maybe it is
defective. Temporarily hook up a normal lamp to check power.

You may also have mixed up the lamp and motor wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

buffalobill wrote:
On May 9, 2:30 pm, wrote:

I have replaced all the lighting and ceiling fans with no problem,
except in my room. I have tried to put in another ceiling fan and
there is a spark and the breaker trips. Do I have to call an
electrician?

breaker off. disconnect the fan. breaker on. if breaker stays on, then
the new fan fan is the problem. buy a ($25) digital multimeter and
troubleshoot the fan.

Hmmm,
That's only logical. Wiring within fan may be screwed up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I find that most skilled operators just do the job, and
never post to usenet. The fact that the OP posted,
suggests the OP isn't very skilled with electricity. I'd
suggest a handyman or electrician to come and help.

Your findings are not supported by reality. He was
skilled enough to replace several ceiling fans and
smart enough to ask about the lone problem he
encountered before proceeding,

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus