Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default wood fence gate not plumb

Norminn wrote:

clipped

So that leads to my questions. Are there other remedies to
consider. Can I shim the hinges? Can I somehow buy some
sophisticated hinges that are capable of adjustments inward and
outward that would make it less noticable?

Any ideas appreciated.

MC

I'm not a fence builder. Can you put a wheel on
the inside ends of the gates so it takes some of the weight off the
fence? How deep did you place the
posts? If you can put a wheel on the gate, perhaps when the ground is
wet and softer so the posts
might straighten? What's under the gate opening - pavement? I don't
see how changing the hinges
would accomplish anything .... seems the weight of the gates, and,
perhaps, the leverage of opening
them is too much for the support system (not deep enough).

P.S. If the concrete in the trench isn't terribly wide, you might be
able to install another post, deeper,
on each side and sistered to the existing, out-of-plumb posts. Less
demo/excapvation. Or, possibly,
a hinge in the middle of each section of the gate - the thought being
that you "fold" each section of the
gate before opening it fully and have less leverage pulling the posts
out of plumb. Gosh, I wish I knew
the math )