Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterMcC PeterMcC is offline

Default DIY Weed Killer (Effective Stuff)

wrote in

snip
The very worst garden weed just *has* to be Mare's Tail. The root
systems
spread far and wide and deep underground and a new plant will grow
from the
tiniest root fragment left behind when you dig 'em out. The 'leaves'
(more
like fronds) have a waxy coating which resists spray herbicides.
Once it
has taken hold there is *no* getting rid of it. Trust me on this.
My
garden is full of the *******s. Compared to Mare's Tail, dandelions
are a
stroll in the park with fluffy pink cushions to lie about on.

Anyone who comes up with a means of eradicating this weed from my
garden
will earn my undying admiration and probably a large quantity of beer.

Glyphosate - Roundup or similar - mixed with a little washing up liquid as a
wetting agent. It does work - it did for me anyway - but can take a summer
of repeated application.

If you can get a heavy roller - or a gang of small children - rolled over
the weeds, the leaf surfaces rupture and the weedkiller can enter the leaf
more easily.

Weedkillers with ammonium sulphamate - like Deep Root - were quite effective
against Horsetail (ISTR that Marestail is the stuff that grows in water) but
have now, I believe, been banned. I gather that there's still some to be
had - ebay for instance - but that would be a matter for the individual.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,