Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Campbell Jonathan Campbell is offline

Default DIY Weed Killer (Effective Stuff)

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Bloody weeds... everywhere!
I have looked around the interweb...
Best DIY solutions for spray-applied stuff that will knock-em for 6
is what I'm after.

Some suggest brown vinegar (hot)
Others say Jays-fluid (if sprayed should it be diluted and to what
ratio?)
Steam Cleaners (don't have one and would be a great expense for
beating up a few weeds)

Dandelions are the worst..
(helped by a 6 year old that likes to tell the time by Dandelion clock)

I'd go for Glyphosate (Roundup) for the dandelions; if a small area
and/or desire to avoid surrounding grass and plants, then paint on with
a one inch paintbrush. Likewise for buttercups. For painting on, I'd mix
many times stronger than for spray (1:3 or so, as opposed to the normal
1:20);

Reminded by mention of the Japanese weed, if you ever need to
permanently kill an unloved but enthusiastic shrub or tree (for example
inappropriately sited sycamores), then some neat glyphosate painted into
a wound will do wonders. Also, a tree surgeon told me recently that a
few drilled holes injected with engine oil (or was it diesel) does the same.

I guess there are many of you with sycamores in neighbouring gardens
cutting out all your light.

Jon C.