Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Campbell Jonathan Campbell is offline

Default DIY Weed Killer (Effective Stuff)

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Bloody weeds... everywhere!
I have looked around the interweb...
Best DIY solutions for spray-applied stuff that will knock-em for 6
is what I'm after.

Some suggest brown vinegar (hot)
Others say Jays-fluid (if sprayed should it be diluted and to what
ratio?)
Steam Cleaners (don't have one and would be a great expense for
beating up a few weeds)

Dandelions are the worst..
(helped by a 6 year old that likes to tell the time by Dandelion clock)

I'd go for Glyphosate (Roundup) for the dandelions; if a small area

[...]
Sodium chlorate has been banned in Ireland for forty years now (too good
for making DIY bangers). So I guess that has led to the introduction of
alternative total kill + temporary soil sterilisation products.

Incidentally, fifty years ago, farmers used sodium chlorate for killing
seed potato plants; seed potatoes were graded by size, so it was
important to let (most of them) them get to the right size and then stop
growth. All very nice for young boys to have hundredweight drums of
sodium chlorate around.

It seems they use sulphuric acid now; even for eating potatoes, I think.

Best regards,

Jon C.