Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Campbell Jonathan Campbell is offline

Default DIY Weed Killer (Effective Stuff)

Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Bloody weeds... everywhere!
I have looked around the interweb...
Best DIY solutions for spray-applied stuff that will knock-em for 6 is
what I'm after.

Some suggest brown vinegar (hot)
Others say Jays-fluid (if sprayed should it be diluted and to what ratio?)
Steam Cleaners (don't have one and would be a great expense for beating
up a few weeds)

Dandelions are the worst..
(helped by a 6 year old that likes to tell the time by Dandelion clock)

I'd go for Glyphosate (Roundup) for the dandelions; if a small area
and/or desire to avoid surrounding grass and plants, then paint on with
a one inch paintbrush. Likewise for buttercups. For painting on, I'd mix
many times stronger than for spray (1:3 or so, as opposed to the normal
1:20); here I'm referring to Gallup 360 brand --- about £20 for five
litres in a farmers' suppliers (about one zillionth of the price of the
watered down equivalent in B&Q or Homebase)

Sodium chlorate has been banned in Ireland for forty years now (too good
for making DIY bangers). So I guess that has led to the introduction of
alternative total kill + temporary soil sterilisation products. One I
use is Hygeia Hytrol --- marketed as a 'pathclear' ("kills all weeds on
paths and patios for up to one year". I always associated the generic
name 'simazine' with that one, but I see it has Aminotriazole and Diuron
as well.

I once heard a very respected gardener recommending annual *light*
application of simazine for controlling weeds amongst shrubs; sort of
sterilises the first few mm of earth. I've used it in a small rose bed
and it was effective.

Best regards,

Jon C.