Posted to uk.d-i-y
somebody somebody is offline

Default DIY Weed Killer (Effective Stuff)

In message , Pet -
www.GymRatZ.co.uk writes
Bloody weeds... everywhere!
I have looked around the interweb...
Best DIY solutions for spray-applied stuff that will knock-em for 6 is
what I'm after.

Some suggest brown vinegar (hot)
Others say Jays-fluid (if sprayed should it be diluted and to what ratio?)
Steam Cleaners (don't have one and would be a great expense for beating
up a few weeds)

Dandelions are the worst..
(helped by a 6 year old that likes to tell the time by Dandelion clock)

All ideas welcome.
:¬)

Cheers
Pete

Difficult. Depends exactly what you want.

I've lived in this house for 5 years, at the back is a new patio (2
years or so) and at the front is a tatty old broken concrete and crazy
paving driveway (30 years or so).

My experiences.....

Weedol - expensive but quick results killing whatever you spray.
Unfortunately things grow back (or are replaced) just as quick.

Sodium Chlorate - Was told this is "the stuff". Well I bought a 1Kg tub
3 years ago, have been regularly spraying the various areas and to be
honest, there is not much difference. The impression I get is that
Weedol kills existing weeds but Sodium Chlorate stops new ones from
growing. I don't think the SC actually works that well. After three
years I am still out there with Weedol aswell.

This year, I've taken a completely different route. Weedkillers are
expensive so I've managed to get 5l of Roundup Amenity (Pro Biactive).
It isn't as quick as Weedol but it seems to be more effective in the
longer term at stopping their regrowth. "Amenity" is what the councils
buy.

I have also applied Jeyes Fluid liberally over the patio and driveway
(about 100ml per 10l). Everything stunk of disinfectant for a few days,
but to be honest with the combination of Roundup Probiactive and Jeyes,
our drive and patio are cleaner and more free of weeds than they have
ever been.

I'll know more in 12 months time, but from this early experience,
Roundup Probiactive and Jeyes are the way to go.

Hth
Bill

P.S. 100ml of Roundup in the sheds can be a fiver. 5l of Roundup in an
agricultural supplier is £55 (and you dilute it approx 1:20 to 1:40).

Someone