Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Tim Hortons fires an employee over one TimBit.

"Frank Boettcher"

I'll have to respectfully disagree on this point, although things may
have changed since I was in business school.

The emphasis was and, I believe, still is on "leading". rather than
"managing" to some set of strict rules.

My point was that one learns the "leadership" necessary to successfully run
a specific business by first gaining a thorough knowledge of the specific
business. IOW, and contrary to current perception, "leadership" is rarely
gained by the act of attending "business school".

I've said this befo I theorize that much of what you see wrong with the
current corporate mentality started with a secret project during WWII to
train "managers" for the ramping up of manufacturing for military/war effort
needs, and has since evolved to the point that conventional wisdom dictates
a "business/MBA school" graduate needs to know little else but what is
taught therein to run any company he heads insofar as whatever widget it
produces.

Besides, ever notice that the rise of the "business/MBA school graduate", as
a practiced prerequisite for running a business, coincides nicely with total
disregard for the customer, doing whatever is expedient for the "bottom
line", and the concept of if it ain't illegal, do it, and morality be
damned?

(present company excluded, of course g)

IMO, we're now arguably seeing the results of this learned behavior in the
rapidly obvious conclusion that we've become a second rate nation with a
second rate economy ... just check out tonight's global business section for
ample evidence of that.

Me, I just want to buy a hamburger that actually looks like the one on the
commercials, or the pictures on the wall!

Let the little things slide in the name of the bottom line and before you
know it you got boxes specifically stating something's inside that isn't ...
and folks defending what's a wrong as a right.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08