Posted to alt.home.repair
BobR BobR is offline

Default Who's in love with their string trimmer?

On May 6, 6:10*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"BobR" wrote in message

On May 6, 2:06 pm, (Dave Martindale) wrote:

writes:
Weedeater, gas powered, paid $65. Running since 1992. Rechargeable
models are just too weak and who wants to play with a cord?

If you have a cord-powered electric lawnmower, you've already got the
cord out, and it's already long enough to reach all of the corners of
your lawn, so a cord-powered electric trimmer makes sense. That's what
I have, and I prefer it to gas lawnmower/trimmer for the small lawns that
we currently have.

For larger or complicated lawns, where a cord would be too much of a
pain, I'd switch to gas-powered for both. But for a small simple lawn,
I prefer the lower maintenance of corded electric equipment. (When I
was still a teen and living at home, we always had 2 or 3 gas
lawnmowers, and cut our lawn, our grandmother's, and our uncle's lawn.
I have plenty of experience with gas mowers).

Dave

I have to agree with you Dave. *I have an electric mower, electric
trimmer, and electric blower. *I pull the cord out with the mower,
mow, edge, and trim all in about 30 minutes. *I prefer them for two
very good reasons. *First is the noise factor and the second is the
SMELL. *I hated haveing to end up smelling like a mixture of gas and
oil every time I did the yard. *I have had gas versions of all of the
above and gave them away when I bought the electric. *The cord can be
a bit of a pain when mowing but once you get down the right pattern,
it goes quickly.

If your gas powered lawnmower smells bad, it's because it's BROKEN. Fix it..- Hide quoted text -

I didn't have to carry the mower around while using it but not the
case for the trimmer and blower. Both the blower and trimmer were
impossible to use without having the fumes get into your clothes and
you. The fuel oil mixture smell like crap and required wearing a
filtered mask. Screw that. I won't have another gas powered mower,
blower, trimmer or other yard tool.

Now I could start in on the environmental improvement of using the
electric but hell, I am no environmental nut.