Posted to alt.home.repair
chale4 chale4 is offline

Default claw foot tub drain plumbing question

On May 2, 6:52*am, Speedy Jim wrote:
chale4 wrote:
On Apr 29, 10:33 pm, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:29:18 -0700 (PDT), chale4

wrote:

Hello, just joined this excellent group.

I have a small older (1926) rental house with a rough but functional
basement. *The basement floor is concrete. *There is a circulardrain
in the floor in the existing 1/2 bathroom, located about 2' away from
the basement wall, and from the main vertical waste line for the whole
house which is located up against that wall. *I'm pretty certain that
this floordrainis connected to the main waste line under the
concrete via a sanitary tee or similar fitting (there are no issues at
all with odor or anything, at any rate).

We want to install aclawfoottub in this bathroom; fits nicely in
the available space, no tile work to hassle with, etc., so seems like
a pretty good way to go in this old basement.

My question is this: *is it sensible, legal, practical to basically
modify this floordrain'shardware and plumb thetub'sdrainpipe to
this floordrain? *It's entirely possible to position thetubsuch
that itsdrainpipe is perfectly centered on the existing floordrain,
no problem. *I had one guy come by to have a look at it, and he had
some fuzzy but concerning comments about how he thought some concrete
jack-hammering and cutting and such would be necessary...oh man! *I
don't understand why it would necessarily need to be that heavily
modified...

I'd note that there is at least one other floordrainin the basement
(maybe a couple), so I'm not necessarily all that averse to "losing"
this one floordrainin the bathroom. *Or, I could envision a "custom"
piece of hardware that both permittedtubdraining, and floor
draining, simultaneously. *I've got a home machine shop and can make
such things, if they're functional and sensible...

Thanks much for your time thinking about this deal!
Charley Hale
Lafayette CO

The only time I placed aclawfoottub in a basement; it required a
platform, The only way to get a pitch for the plumbingdrain.

2X10 and luan. Fit perfect under the basement window.... Just a step
up into thetub.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. *I can see why you'd potentially want to do that platform to
provide vertical space for atubp-trap, right? *I very much want to
avoid that here unfortunately, as this basement is already pretty low
ceiling, without thetubbeing on an even higher level than the
floor...

Above I said I thought my non-odorous floordrainin the concrete
floor must be connect to the main waste line via a sanitary tee, but
that's no good, it must rather have a p-trap down in the concrete,
right? *A sanitary tee is shaped correctly todrainon into a vertical
waste line no problem, but wouldn't have any gas-sealing effect like a
p-trap, would it. *And so, it would seem to me that my floordrain
does in fact have a p-trap below the floor. *That seems like a very
good thing, in that, seems to me like, I can effectively treat that
floordrainp-trap as my newTUBp-trap, and just go ahead and "custom-
plumb" mytub'sdrainoutput straight-away into that floordrain.
Does anyone see anything amiss here? *Thanks--Charley Hale

* *Yes, the floordrainlikely has a cast-in P-trap and thetub
* *draincan simply empty into the floordrain.

* *The city inspector would probably turn his nose up at this
* *"indirect waste" arrangemnet, but if you're not too concerned,
* *go for it. *:-)

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Jim, I think I will in fact proceed with this. I just
installed my p-trap forty years before the actual tub, you see... : )
--Charley