Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Trepanning and Parting Off

On 2008-05-05, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2008-05-03, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

[ ... ]

OK. I'll probably post it to the metalworking archive.

You mean to the dropbox http://www.metalworking.com? That
should do -- or perhaps to the archive of manuals which Iggy is building
up.

I meant the dropbox, although Iggy would be welcome to a copy as well.

Good.

[ ... ]

I'm still looking for a faceplate. One can buy a new faceplate plus L00
back from Bison for about $300, but the need is not immediate, and so
I've been watching eBay.

O.K. So was I -- until I found one at a flea market/picnic held
by the local metalworking club (which, BTW, is also where the dropbox
is. :-)

It helps to be lucky...

And to not be in a hurry. :-)

[ ... ]

Yes -- but before that, it was common to adjust between the feet
and the cabinet (or table) with stacks of shims.

Yep. I wanted a lathe with integral cabinet stand, on the theory that
it would all fit together better.

And you got that. (And got rid of the chatter problem with the
new gib. Congratulations.

BTW -- the squeal might be because the trepanning tool is not
ground to give proper clearance on the curve of the slot.

[ ... ]

Nope! *I* can't -- because I don't use a GUI-based newsreader.
I can click on the url and get at most a single line of it to paste to
a browser or another window with a command line.

People with GUI-based newsreaders (especially those built into
web browsers) can do so. Frankly, I am glad that I can't, because it
makes it more difficult to accidentally click on a malicious link.

If you are not on Windows, why would this be a problem?

Because I don't depend on them *always* focusing on Windows
systems, just because they are the easiest target. There have been
experimental attacks which used javascript, or java, and I see lots of
information about security holes in the flash plugins (information from
the CERT mailing list). Anything attacking something other than the
basic native machine language can be made to work on other systems.

[ ... ]

I have the gibs adjusted so there is much drag, but the cross-slide
backlash is about 0.020", and the compound slide backlash is about
0.006".

O.K.

I figured out how better to adjust things, and got this down to ~0.003".

Good!

[ ... ]

O.K. But when you are experiencing chatter, you might also try
placing a finger where it can sense motion along the cross slide.

Yep. I tried the same improved adjustment method on the cross slide,
but the backlash remained at ~0.020", so this is probably inherent to
the screw and nut.

Did you ever figure out how much of the 0.070" was the screw versus the
nut? I think I recall you saying that the Acme threads were worn down
to sharp points, which would imply that screw wear was the larger
contributor.

It was about half. Cranking the cross-slide out to near falling
out of the nut reduced the backlash to 0.036".

[ ... ]

There is space where the outer ways stick out from under the
headstock (which is clamped to the inner ways) and you should be able to
check back along the near side far enough to be clear of the chuck.

Ahh. I see what you mean. One can get at the back of the lathe safely
enough. The problem is that I cannot then reach the handwheels to
advance the toolbit into the work. I'll have to cogitate on this.

Isn't there access above the quick-change gearbox? The gearbox
is bolted firmly to the bed, so you could sense motion between the top
of the gearbox and the front of the headstock.

Not without some disassembly.

Hmm ... it must be much more enclosed there than the 5418 is.

[ ... ]

O.K. Mine has one taper pin, not two dowel pins.

What I called dowels are in fact #6 taper pins, and they fix the
headstock to the bed way, preventing motion along the bed way.

O.K. That is as it should be.

And it turns out that there is only one taper pin, not two, so the two
models are about the same here. I recalled that there were two, but
when I cleaned the dirt off, only one.

:-) That dirt does tend to mask details, doesn't it? :-)

[ ... ]

O.K. This produces fewer paths for swarf to get down into the
drawers and the motor/pulley assembly in the pedestals.

Yes. Not that the defense is perfect. I have pulled swarf out of just
about everywhere.

It does tend to get everywhere.

In the shoes is the worst. And chattering tools generate particularly
annoying swarf - millions of sharp little steel needles. Coolant helps
by wetting the whole mess down, keeping it from blowing around in the
shop.

O.K. I don't have problems with the shoes. I wear
oil-resistant steel toed boots, and the legs of my pants come down below
the top of the boots, so it would have to bounce off the floor and come
up to get in. :-) Given some of the things I have dropped, I am glad to
have those steel-toed boots. :-)

And if you want nasty needles, try a horizontal mill with a
conventional milling cutter on steel. :-) I'll take what comes from my
lahte any day. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564