Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Trepanning and Parting Off

On 2008-05-05, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2008-05-03, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

[ ... ]

The exception is when the URL is in a quoted message, and so extra quote
mark characters have been inserted.

Or -- when you are using a system which is not configured to do
it, as I am. I *think* that I could configure this newsreader (slrn) to
do it, but I will not.

What's wrong with newsreaders that correctly handle URLs? If one is not
on Windows, there is little danger from URLs.

Little does not translate into *no* danger. :-)

So much of the web wants javascript enabled, or flash, or lots
of other things. I don't trust those, and have them turned off except
for sites which I trust -- and that does not mean that they won't get
cracked and malicious HTML installed.

I like to look at the URL, perhaps run a whois on the domain,
and various other checks before deciding to go to the site. If it is
set up to respond to a click, I could wind up visiting one which I don't
care for because one of my cats hopped into my lap and nudged my hand
thus pressing the mouse button at just the wrong time. (Aside from the
mouse (actually a trackball) falling off the arm of the chair and
bumping the buttons in falling.

So -- the most that a mouse click in my newsreader can do is to
highlight some text and perhaps copy it into the clip buffer. :-) I've
got to bring up another window, and type a command line before I get to
a web site.

Call me paranoid. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564