Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Lending library for tools

Jim Yanik wrote:

Why does
it need to offer anything to the illiterate?

well,they CAN help the illiterate to become literate.
some "video games" can teach people how to type,teach children
math,reading,history,etc.

I'd like to see them have up-to-date auto service manuals on their
shelves. Even if only CD-ROM.

Okay, help people read. Good. But even that's secondary to the library being
a repository of knowledge. Actual conversation:

Me: "Do you have Encyclopedia Judaica?"
Librarian: "No."
Me: "Do you have Marquis' Who's Who?"
Librarian: "No."
Me: "Do you have Cumulative Books In Print or the Congressional Record?"
Librarian: "No."
Me: (trying to avoide the Monty Python Cheese Shop skit) "What DO you have?"
Librarian: "We have video games, art work, puppets, music, games, internet
access, all kinds of things."
Me: "What's your most popular item?"
Librarian: "Paperback historical romances. Leave two, take two. It's the
honor system."

I can see the internet taking over the primary, historical, function of
libraries. We can then eliminate libraries and save tax money.