Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Lending library for tools

"Bill" wrote in
:

Our library needs to get the voters to re-approve its funding every so
many years. They were having a difficult time getting the voters to
vote yes.

I pointed out that many people do not read books. They watch TV, play
video games, etc. So I suggested the library offer something to the
non-book readers. Perhaps loan sports equipment, movies, video games,
etc. Whatever. My suggestion went in one ear and out the other. They
lost at the next election.

Anyway I think it is a good idea. Might get more people yes for
libraries if they also provide services for the non-book readers.

"Bob" wrote in message
There was an article in Saturday's paper about our local library
considering lending tools as well as books. It mentioned such things
as cement mixers, saws, etc.

At first, I thought it was an interesting idea, but on second thought
I imagined how those tools could, and probably would, be abused by
people who don't know how to use them or care for them, or just don't
care.

also,the librarians would not know how to maintain and service the tools.

For example:
"I didn't know you weren't supposed to cut tile with a skill saw".
"I didn't realize there were nails in that old 2 X 4 - but the saw
cut them pretty good".
"Rain wasn't forecast, so I thought it would be okay to leave the
miter saw outside since I was going to use it in the morning".
"I thought I'd washed the concrete mixer pretty good - guess not".
Etc - etc.

Then there is the liability problem:
"Your Honor, nobody showed me how to use that router well enough, and
that's how I lost a finger, and why I am suing the city".

The article said there are other libraries that loan tools. Is
anyone aware of this practice and how it works in reality?

Just curious - Bob-tx

loaning tools would be Gov't competing with local businesses.
decrease their earnings,tax revenues decrease,businesses go out of
business,people become unemployed.

That is why it's not a good idea.

Books,OTOH,are educational items,and it's good for gov't to enable low cost
education.They also have Internet connected PCs and printers for people to
use for free.
IMO,voting could be done by PC;just have the registered voter use a
unique registration number sent to them by snailmail along with a sample
ballot,they go online to the voting website,enter their choices,have the
selected choices emailed back to them for confirmation.
The computers at the voting HQ prints out a ballot for hard copy,with the
registration number(but no name/address) so there's no funny business.

Those without PCs could vote at libraries and schools,like they already do
in some places. You could also have mobile voting buses with wi-fi PC
connections.

I note that some libraries DO loan movies (classics?)and perhaps video
games,though probably not the latest and greatest.
Movies are also becoming more available online.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik