Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Garbage disposal problem

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote
cshenk told us...

We barely use ours. Instead, we have those simple mesh pocket shaped
items you put over the drain. They get dumped then put in the
dishwasher (I have 4 of them so can rotate 2 out to dishwasher each time
we do a load.

Actually, I do have two of those (one for each side of the sink), and they
are quite useful in catching all the small things that might otherwise go
down the drain. An extra set would be handy. Just never thought of it.

Hehehehe. Without meaning to bore anyone about my stay in Japan, fact is
they do not have have electric disposals often. Instead, they have these
metal grate things that fit down in the sink which are about (memory here) 4
inches across and about 6 deep. You just lift them out and dump in the
trash, then put it back in. Really *nice* once you get used to them. There
is nothing to break. They seldom lead to 'clogs' unless it's pouring oil
(bacon fat etc) down the sink. Being used to this by the time we got here,
we adapted to the sink strainer units you can get here.

I have also a sink unit called
Over-the-Sink Strainer
Bought at jcpenny.com. As I think your address is not munged, I used

(snip)

Thanks... Now there's a good idea. Yes, I got the link and I think I'm
going to order one. Very thoughtful of you!

Happy to help! I really *do* like this product.

I also happen to really like the FPO AP policies of JCpenny. Many 'say'
they support the troops, but jcpenny is the only one who really does among
the big web ordering sites. They do not charge more for an APO FP (or any
APO type address) while so many do, and their speed of delivery can be as
short as 2 days with no need to pay extra. In short, they make an actual
*effort*. Their web site accepts international phone numbers easily with an
APO address and zip code. You don't know how bad Wal-mart really is until
you try to order from an APO address... Funny thing is they used to be
decent.

Shipping to an APO adress no matter where in the world, costs the same as a
shipment to any CONUS lower 48 state address for the shipper but many try to
charge us military international rates to make extra profit. jcpenny is
honest and just say 'may take longer, special delivery faster services not
available' (yet most often hit anything other than a ship at sea, in 2-5
days).