Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garbage disposal problem

On Mon 05 May 2008 03:43:35a, cshenk told us...

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote

If I could have one, I would get a huge amount of use from a disposal.
We've had one in every other home we've owned except for this one,
where we are on a septic system. It was recommended we not use one
with septic. We've only lived here a year and a half, and I'm already
sick of plate scrapings, peelings, and other food waste instead of a
quick swish down the disposal.

We barely use ours. Instead, we have those simple mesh pocket shaped
items you put over the drain. They get dumped than put in the
dishwasher (I have 4 of them so can rotate 2 out to dishwasher each time
we do a load.

Actually, I do have two of those (one for each side of the sink), and they
are quite useful in catching all the small things that might otherwise go
down the drain. An extra set would be handy. Just never thought of it.

I have also a sink unit called
Over-the-Sink Strainer
Bought at jcpenny.com. As I think your address is not munged, I used
their link to email the product description to you. It's very well made
and no muss, no fuss. Just flip it over and use the sink sprayer to
clean most stuff right out. Loads just fine in the top of the
dishwasher. (use the top due to the rubber handles please). The picture
will not tell you but the 'handles' extend quite a bit so you adjust it
to the sink.

Thanks... Now there's a good idea. Yes, I got the link and I think I'm
going to order one. Very thoughtful of you!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)