Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Garbage disposal problem

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
3.184:

On Sun 04 May 2008 08:21:02p, Red Green told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
3.184:

On Sun 04 May 2008 06:54:02p, Steve told us...

"CP" wrote in
:

Hello everyone,
I have a garbage disposal that became stuck. I was able to break
it free from the bottom using the supplied wrench but it doesn't
turn as smoothly as it should. When I turn the disposal on it
makes a lot of noise, runs for about 5 seconds and then the
breaker trips. This garbage disposal is in my vacation home in the
desert and does not get a lot of usage.
Though not completely sure I believe the unit is about 5 years
old. Any helpful advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Garbage disposals are cheap. Replace it. Unless you enjoy repairing
stuff, you'll waste more time looking at it than it's worth.

For the best bang for the buck, replace it with a standard drain.
Most people don't get much use from a disposal.

If I could have one, I would get a huge amount of use from a
disposal.
We've had one in every other home we've owned except for this one,
where we are on a septic system. It was recommended we not use one
with septic. We've only lived here a year and a half, and I'm
already sick of plate scrapings, peelings, and other food waste
instead of a quick swish down the disposal.

I know that In-Sink-Erator makes a model specifically for use with
septic systems that injects an enzyme solution each time the dispsal
is used, but I'm still skeptical of its effectiveness.

I had one for 14 yrs in a new home I had built. Never had a problem
and had septic pumped like every 3-4 yrs. Never any issues with tank
or lines. Inlets and outlets always normal.

The rules were always followed. All grease gets poured off into cans.
No paint, chemicals and other crap down the drain. Liquid detergents
only.

Thanks, that's very helpful! I'm going to take a second look.

Can you give me an idea what the cost might be for having the tank
pumped? We haven't been here long enough to do that. We have a 1000
gallon tank.

It really depends on your area. The local "impact" fees can greatly
affect costs. In one area I was in the cost doubled when they tightened
some environmental things.

Just call a couple of places and ask how much to pump out a 1000 gal
tank. 1000 gal tank is typical. Some things you might wanna ask.

Who digs up and pulls the cap?

If you have a really manicured lawn you may want to neatly cut the turf
back yourself and put on the side along with the topsoil. Keep the turf
wet. You don't want the undersoil end up right below the turf since it's
lower quality. They shouldn't butcher it and should do what they can to
preserve but you can't expect them to baby it. If you put it back, put
the soil back in layers and pack in between. Water the layers so it packs
more. This is to prevent mounding at the top.

The septic tank edge should be about 10ft out from the foundation where
the pipe exits from the inside. That's not a guarantee. The tank could
have been put elsewhere for some reason. Find the other edges. It's
rectangular. The center is where the pumping cap is. The inspection caps
are maybe a foot before and after the pumping cap. They find it by
sticking a long metal rod in the soil looking for concrete. The ones I've
seen are usually 12-24" down.

Do they pull the inlet and outlet covers to inspect?
Do they pump out the VERY BOTTOM bottom of the tank?

How many people in the house (showers, laundry, etc) can affect how often
you should have it done. Another factor is how many women are in the
household. A lot more paper usage. The assessment at pumpings will give
you a feel for it.