Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garbage disposal problem

On Sun 04 May 2008 06:54:02p, Steve told us...

"CP" wrote in
:

Hello everyone,
I have a garbage disposal that became stuck. I was able to break it
free from the bottom using the supplied wrench but it doesn't turn as
smoothly as it should. When I turn the disposal on it makes a lot of
noise, runs for about 5 seconds and then the breaker trips.
This garbage disposal is in my vacation home in the desert and does
not get a lot of usage.
Though not completely sure I believe the unit is about 5 years old.
Any helpful advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Garbage disposals are cheap. Replace it. Unless you enjoy repairing

stuff,
you'll waste more time looking at it than it's worth.

For the best bang for the buck, replace it with a standard drain. Most
people don't get much use from a disposal.

If I could have one, I would get a huge amount of use from a disposal.
We've had one in every other home we've owned except for this one, where we
are on a septic system. It was recommended we not use one with septic.
We've only lived here a year and a half, and I'm already sick of plate
scrapings, peelings, and other food waste instead of a quick swish down the
disposal.

I know that In-Sink-Erator makes a model specifically for use with septic
systems that injects an enzyme solution each time the dispsal is used, but
I'm still skeptical of its effectiveness.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)