Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default nuts with nylon inserts versus lock washers and jamb nuts

On May 3, 11:08*pm, mm wrote:
On Sat, 3 May 2008 17:53:40 -0700 (PDT), BobR

wrote:

On another post you commented on the "single" use of the nylon insert
nuts and this may be correct if you are using the common cheap Home-
Depot made in China hardware. *I have found that aircraft grade nylon
insert nuts will still provide a firm tight hold after two or three
cycles. *I wouldn't recommend them for more than that though.

I'm the OP and I would think a Harbor Freight trailer is even more
cheaply made than most of Home Depot stuff. *And on the box the
trailer came in, it says Made in China.

I hope my axle doesn't fall off!!

They also say no more than 55 MPH. *Can I take that to mean no more
than 60?

I used to use one of those "little red trailers" - the foldable style
of the type sold at HF, although mine came from K-Mart. Many of the
nuts on the trailer were nylocks, which made it pain to assemble, but
it held up for a long time.

I'd load it with 500 - 600 pounds stacked 6 feet high and towed it for
hours at (at least) 65 MPH on a regular basis. Never had an issue.

Kept the tires properly inflated and repacked the wheel bearings once
a year, typically before the spring race season.

I eventually got an enclosed trailer and sold the open one, with
homemade side walls, for $25 more than I bought it for, after 4 years
and thousands of miles.