Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil again Phil again is offline

Default permanent connection of propane grill to city gas?

..{snip}
So the question is kind of a two-parter. First, is it possible to
convert an old Weber propane grill to safely operate on natural gas as
delivered to one's house? If so, is it legal to pipe the gas outside
the house, e.g. to a connection on an outside wall on the deck, so that
I could hook up my grill to it?

nate

In South-East Michigan--

My outdoor grill powered by Nat. Gas, has a splitter at the outside gas
meter (after the meter of course), a shut off valve and then some buried
copper gas line to the back yard and then up into the support column for
the grill. The maker of the Grill, sells two types of burners and flame
control valves for the basic model of grill: One for Nat Gas, the other
for propane.

Propane is hotter, and burns with out all the water in the fuel. Propane
is much closer to the heat generated by hardwood charcoal. My grill's
Nat Gas burner is, IMHO, a slower and cooler cooking grill than a equal
sized propane burner. Slower, more control, and gets the job done but
nix the charred burned outside and raw 'still got the Moo' inside.

BTW: the support column is encased in a deep concrete footing. The thin
concrete stones I use for a backyard patio may shift with the freeze/
frost each winter, but that grill and that buried gas line ain't going
nowhere, no how. Had to go below winter freeze line depth. May not be a
problem where you live.

Different States, different laws. Many places where I live will just
refill your tank and charge you going rate. None of this Tank exchange
so many BORGS and hardware stores have. They, the Auto Gas Stations that
offer Propane sales, have all the conversions and adapters. Only problem
is you must pay the going rate for Propane. Ain't cheap no more. Just
like Gas for car.

Back to your question: You just might have to buy a new grill for Nat
Gas. Check Weber web site to see if they offer a Nat Gas conversion kit.

Phil