Posted to alt.home.repair
Baron[_3_] Baron[_3_] is offline

Default permanent connection of propane grill to city gas?

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm sure that I just got poked in the no-no spot. SWMBO brought home some
trout today and informed me that we would be grilling it later, would I
please pick up a new propane tank? After visiting two Orange-Colored
Stores and filling myself with the usual loathing and hatred of my fellow
man (not even determining if they did, in fact, sell propane, as I wasn't
able to accomplish my initial goal of finding some new watering cans, and
wasn't able to find a sales associate to assist me - even after waiting at
the service desk of the second store for a good ten minutes) I finally
gave up and drove into Arlington to a small hardware store that I knew
sold propane. I wanted to purchase a new tank, as I had only one and it
was almost empty, I figured if I had two tanks then I wouldn't ever have
to worry about running out and would also be able to get full use out of
them and not have to return a tank with useful gas left in it for fear of
running out mid-grill.

Well, first I was informed that the "quick disconnect" connector on my old
tank was obsolete, so I could either get on a waiting list that they would
call when they finally got some tanks in with quick disconnects, or else
buy a new regulator/hose assembly for $20-something. So I bought the
hose, because I figured if there was a waiting list now and the connector
was obsolete, the situation was only going to get worse in the future. I
didn't even ask how much the new tank was... it was *SEVENTY-FIVE
DOLLARS!* Well, being the sort of guy that appreciates a good grilled
trout, and not knowing anywhere else likely to be open on a Sunday that
sold propane, I bought it, but I still feel vaguely violated.

So the question is kind of a two-parter. First, is it possible to convert
an old Weber propane grill to safely operate on natural gas as delivered
to one's house? If so, is it legal to pipe the gas outside the house,
e.g. to a connection on an outside wall on the deck, so that I could hook
up my grill to it?

thanks,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

While you may have to get a different valve in the grill, it should be
fine.

I have an old Charmglow grill hooked up to city gas. When the
development I am in was built some 40 years ago, the builder installed these
grills outside every house. I have replaced every part of the grill over
time except for the housing. It is possible that the grill valve is a
special type and since I only replaced it once, I simply used whatever valve
the manufacturer called for. We have a shutoff valve in the basement just
for the line going to the grill but other than that, it is really a straight
forward hookup. It's nice not to have to deal with propane tanks and such.
The downside is that you can not move the grill if the wind so dictates.

Good Luck.