Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default permanent connection of propane grill to city gas?

Nate Nagel wrote in
:

Hi,

I'm sure that I just got poked in the no-no spot. SWMBO brought home
some trout today and informed me that we would be grilling it later,
would I please pick up a new propane tank? After visiting two
Orange-Colored Stores and filling myself with the usual loathing and
hatred of my fellow man (not even determining if they did, in fact, sell
propane, as I wasn't able to accomplish my initial goal of finding some
new watering cans, and wasn't able to find a sales associate to assist
me - even after waiting at the service desk of the second store for a
good ten minutes) I finally gave up and drove into Arlington to a small
hardware store that I knew sold propane. I wanted to purchase a new
tank, as I had only one and it was almost empty, I figured if I had two
tanks then I wouldn't ever have to worry about running out and would
also be able to get full use out of them and not have to return a tank
with useful gas left in it for fear of running out mid-grill.

Well, first I was informed that the "quick disconnect" connector on my
old tank was obsolete, so I could either get on a waiting list that they
would call when they finally got some tanks in with quick disconnects,
or else buy a new regulator/hose assembly for $20-something. So I
bought the hose, because I figured if there was a waiting list now and
the connector was obsolete, the situation was only going to get worse in
the future. I didn't even ask how much the new tank was... it was
*SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLARS!* Well, being the sort of guy that appreciates a
good grilled trout, and not knowing anywhere else likely to be open on a
Sunday that sold propane, I bought it, but I still feel vaguely violated.

So the question is kind of a two-parter. First, is it possible to
convert an old Weber propane grill to safely operate on natural gas as
delivered to one's house? If so, is it legal to pipe the gas outside
the house, e.g. to a connection on an outside wall on the deck, so that
I could hook up my grill to it?

thanks,

nate

here in FL,it's cheapest to go to an ACE Hardware store to get a
propane grill tank filled.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik