Posted to alt.home.repair
clot clot is offline

Default stone foundation falling out

gore wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message
On May 4, 9:34 am, "gore" wrote:
I have a home built in 1848. It has a stone foundation that has sunk
and has
been sunk for several decades (I can tell this by the way the
previous owners who remolded in the 60's just made the baseboards
wider to compensate
for the sagging floor). This morning I was walking the dogs and
noticed a section of the outside wall had fallen out. It looks like
this has been a trouble spot before because there are different
types of mortar and cement from previous repairs. I have some links
to pictures and what I am hoping is
what I need to repair this, but I was wondering if anyone had any
better ideas or advice on how I can permanently fix this. I am by no
means a mason,
and I think I am going to have a problem situating the stones back in
where
they would actually do something structural rather than just lay in
there. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Shane

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ductId=10391-2...

Its good the pics were fairly high resolution, I was able to zoom in
to see more. It looks like as you said its all stone. Its probably all
junk and only sand is left, the portland cement is gone. Past repairs
were hack work. It should be supported now inside with screw jacks and
wood under and above, so it doesnt collaps more , and actualy raised
if its sinking, its something you can do that is raised over time. The
stone should come out and probably use block and reface it with your
stone so it looks original. Go buy about 6 -20$ screw jacks and some
4x4 and support the corner, You may not have a footer and it could be
a big job. Post some of the interior.

OK, I took some pics of the inside. When we purchased the house, the
previous owners told us that part was a crawl space and was dug out
using a shovel and 5 gallon buckets in the 1940's. So its about 6'
deep and there is about a 3 - 4 ft. cement ledge that is about 3 feet
high inside the basement. The span is probably 24 ft.What sucks for
me is the previous owners did replace the stone with block on the
front of the house and the side of the house, but left the stone in
the back of the house. The beam at the top of the stone looks like
about a 6x6. Thanks
Shane

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ound/floor.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...hound/top3.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...hound/top2.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2..._hound/top.jpg

I share other posters concern. This is not a cosmetic issue. get a
pro in. Is it possible there's a sewer/ mains water pipe entering the
building that may be leaking? From what you have said about other parts of
the building I guess that it is a lack of proper footings, though.