Posted to alt.home.repair
gpsman gpsman is offline

Default Wheel bearing grease. Another question about the trailer,

On May 3, 11:40 pm, mm wrote:
On Sat, 3 May 2008 20:34:34 -0700 (PDT), gpsman wrote:
On May 3, 11:19 pm, mm wrote:
And do I need to use wheel bearing grease?? on a trailer that weights
250 pounds and which has a max load of 990, but I"ll never use it with
more than 200 pound load.

If you're going to make one trip of maybe 5 miles, and you carry a
fire extinguisher, you needn't bother with the grease. More, and you
prolly ought to grease it, and regularly.

LOL I meant can I use regular grease or do I need wheel bearing
grease?? The latter has iirc some stringy things in it, although I
don't know what they do.

Wheel bearing grease has moisture and heat resistant qualities. It's
a pretty tough environment, you'll want to check and grease those
axles no less than every 12 months, regardless of use.

And check the tire pressures before every use.

OK

You'll be glad you did.

Spring, with the travel-trailering vacationers and boaters (maybe
especially boaters), and Fall, with hunters, often result in the
shoulders of highways getting a tad crowded with a flurry of trailer
tire changing and/or temporary trailer abandonment and/or disappointed
travelers.

I'm sure you've seen them.

You have to consider them itty-bitty tires are turning maybe twice as
fast as those of the towing vehicle.

And, AFAIK, no light trailer tire is rated for speeds in excess of
65mph, and their life is measured more by time than mileage.

Although there are no licensing or educational requirements, yanking
any trailer is serious business. Don't let the size and load of yours
lead you to a sense of complacency.
-----

- gpsman