Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Wheel bearing grease. Another question about the trailer,

Thanks for the help on lock washers versus nylon inserts.

Now on the trailer from Harbor freight that I"m assembling, 990 pounds
max load, It says to add greaase with the grease fitting on the
inside of the rim, and to fill the axle cap with grease.

It seems to me that if I fill from the grease fitting it will fill the
entire space inside the wheel hub, and I don't think I've ever seen
that much grease in anything.

What should I do? How do I know when I've put in enough grease?

And do I need to use wheel bearing grease?? on a trailer that weights
250 pounds and which has a max load of 990, but I"ll never use it with
more than 200 pound load.

Thanks again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 11:19 pm, mm wrote:
It says to add greaase with the grease fitting on the
inside of the rim, and to fill the axle cap with grease.

It seems to me that if I fill from the grease fitting it will fill the
entire space inside the wheel hub, and I don't think I've ever seen
that much grease in anything.

N/A.

What should I do?

Add greaase with the grese fitting on the inside of the rim, and fill
the axle cap with grease.

How do I know when I've put in enough grease?

You'll see when you add the grease with the fitting on the inside of
the "rim". Then you'll "fill", more or less, the axle cap.

Then, install it.

And do I need to use wheel bearing grease?? on a trailer that weights
250 pounds and which has a max load of 990, but I"ll never use it with
more than 200 pound load.

If you're going to make one trip of maybe 5 miles, and you carry a
fire extinguisher, you needn't bother with the grease. More, and you
prolly ought to grease it, and regularly.

And check the tire pressures before every use.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 3 May 2008 20:34:34 -0700 (PDT), gpsman
wrote:

On May 3, 11:19 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

LOL I meant can I use regular grease or do I need wheel bearing
grease?? The latter has iirc some stringy things in it, although I
don't know what they do.

And check the tire pressures before every use.

OK
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 11:19 pm, mm wrote:
And do I need to use wheel bearing grease?? on a trailer that weights
250 pounds and which has a max load of 990, but I"ll never use it with
more than 200 pound load.

If you're going to make one trip of maybe 5 miles, and you carry a
fire extinguisher, you needn't bother with the grease. More, and you
prolly ought to grease it, and regularly.

LOL I meant can I use regular grease or do I need wheel bearing
grease?? The latter has iirc some stringy things in it, although I
don't know what they do.

Wheel bearing grease has moisture and heat resistant qualities. It's
a pretty tough environment, you'll want to check and grease those
axles no less than every 12 months, regardless of use.

And check the tire pressures before every use.

OK

You'll be glad you did.

Spring, with the travel-trailering vacationers and boaters (maybe
especially boaters), and Fall, with hunters, often result in the
shoulders of highways getting a tad crowded with a flurry of trailer
tire changing and/or temporary trailer abandonment and/or disappointed
travelers.

I'm sure you've seen them.

You have to consider them itty-bitty tires are turning maybe twice as
fast as those of the towing vehicle.

And, AFAIK, no light trailer tire is rated for speeds in excess of
65mph, and their life is measured more by time than mileage.

Although there are no licensing or educational requirements, yanking
any trailer is serious business. Don't let the size and load of yours
lead you to a sense of complacency.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

mm wrote:
LOL I meant can I use regular grease or do I need wheel bearing
grease?? The latter has iirc some stringy things in it, although I
don't know what they do.

Depends on what you mean by "regular" grease. A tube grease labeled as
"high temperature" or "moly", etc., will be adequate. Read what the
label says. Most greases these days will fill the bill, but there are
really cheap ones (lots of time they'll be "black" grease) that aren't
suitable. Read the application on the tube (did I say that before? )

Wheel bearing grease is specifically formulated for the purpose of
packing wheel bearings (doh). The "stringy" stuff is moly or some
similar formulation to stay in the bearings. It would also, obviously,
be fine although you'll find it less common in a cartridge for a grease
gun to use on zerk fittings.

Are the bearings prepacked? If not, you'll want to make sure you pack
them well to start, not just count on the grease pumped in to get into
the bearings.